Friday, August 10, 2012

A Hairy Story

I have decent hair, thanks to my south Indian genes. Although Mum feels that the texture and thickness has gone down by 50%, I still feel I my mane is good enough, and thankfully don't have major problems. This gives me the chance to continuously experiment with my hair, so much that I never had the same hair style for than 4 months at a stretch. Of course I like the creepiest forms of hair dos, but the least manageable and slightly messy is my style. Considering this, don't act shocked if I say Preity Zinta's hairdo in Lakshya is my favorite. I totally admire her for using her hair to change her looks. She went from curly in Dil chata hain to poker straight in Kal ho Na ho, to messy and unruly in Lakshya to long luscious colored mane in Veer Zara to very short in Salaam Namaste. She has experimented a lot with her looks unlike the likes of Katrina or Kareena. I am not saying they have bad hair, no they have beautiful amazing hair, but I really would like to see them experiment more with their hair.

 

 


My hair texture is close to Kajol's hair, black jet and curly. And although I always yearned for the straight poker hair(you know, the grass is always green on the other side), I have finally started appreciating what I have.

I do take care of my hair, and have my specials way of doing it.
1. Since I hate unclean hair or dandruff hair, I always wash them after a sweaty workout. And because I exercise 3 times a week, I end up washing my hair 3 times a week(and sometimes 4)
2. I have experimented a lot with shampoos and have finally decided upon Dove. Worst experience and would never use: Garnier.
3. Something which a lot of people do, I never apply shampoo directly to my hair. I dilute it into a jug of water. This way I end up using a little bit of shampoo during each wash. This is important, because I wash my hair more than normal times in a week.
4. For oils I go for either Dabur amla, Castor Oil and Parachute coconut oil. My mom also prepares a special oil made of methi seeds and Hibiscus. Castor oil reduces baldness and maintains the thickness of the hair.
5. I always condition my hair, use a split end serum and go for frequent hair trims. This helps keep the hair soft, and improves the growth.
6. I have never colored my hair(and will not in future as well) and always towel dry my hair.
7. I also apply a mask of egg yolk, egg white, and few drops of lemon every weekend. Egg is an excellent conditioner and lemon helps keep the dandruff away.
8. Green tea is also supposed to be a good conditioner and aids hair growth. I tried it once, but the mixture became too watery to apply.
9. And finally a good diet. I try to include green leafy veggies in my diet and eat less oily or spicy foods.

All the above have helped my maintain my mane and have allowed me to keep experimenting with them. Apart from the nightmares where my hair turns purple like Tonks in Harry Potter or am going bald like Voldemort again in Harry Potter(yes I am into the Potter series nowadays!), my hair has given me hardly any trouble and has always behaved itself. It is a precious important aspect of beauty and I thank god to have blessed me with good hair.

Leaving you with some of my hair experiments(which is nothing but hair lengths) over the last 2 years and with few questions. How often do you experiment with your hair? Do you sometimes feel like cutting it off very short and sometimes growing them long?

From STRAIGHT LONG!

To WAVY MEDIUM


TOTAL CURLS and SHOULDER Length and that's ASH with her poker straight with me. Contrast hair styles and texture.

To VERY SHORT. This is what I sport now.
Next plan:
Go long again!

29 comments:

  1. You are brave! I cannot dare to experiment as much with my hair. My hair is brown and poker straight and I like to keep them long in a deep U cut. You wouldn't believe but I shampoo them every day and I have been doing this since I finished school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its actually nice to shampoo your hair everyday. Keeps it clean. Unclean hair really irk me! And I love poker straight hair :-)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm interesting. I never oil my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohho, hit publish too soon! You look good in all styles. I think when you smile everything else falls into the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kusum, very kind of you:-) If i didnot oil my hair, they would very coarse and rought to touch. Again, it depends from hair to hair :-)

      Delete
  4. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Lol ! Try olive oil . Works like magic .

    ps - You are now our very own Garnier expert ! <3

    ps- Sorry for the long absence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies accepted, and thank you for the kind words:-)
      Olive oil, hmm nice will try and let you know!

      Delete
  5. OHH I HAVE HAD A AMD CRAZY HAIR STORY SINCE I WAS 6...I STARTED WITH GETTING HAR CUTS AT MY DADS SALOON AND TODAY AT THE SPA I CHOOSE JUST A HAIR CUT..NOT THE FANCY HAIR SPA KINDS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, That's typical Sulagna :-)
      I have never tired hair spas, I have this odd feeling that I would only be robbed of my money and nothing else!

      Delete
  6. OMG, Jen!!! touch wood!!! I must say you are super duper lucky, do you know how many problems I am currently facing :D I feel almost all hair problems are there with my hair!!! :(
    1. Rough hair: Check, 2. Balding: Check 3. Hair Fall: Check :( like waterfall!!!
    So with all these I am hardly left with any hair to experiment :'( so now have started with Ayurvedic treatment :D let me see what happens to it :D post which if I am left with hair I will surely try all the details u have put in this post :D

    Very well detailed dear!!! Nazar tho uthar na hi padega abhi aapki!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Ramyu.. Tumari nazar kabhi nahi lagegi. And my you speak and write very good Hindi!

      Do try the egg stuff and the castor oil one. It really helped me!

      Delete
  7. he he he :) you have done a lot of experimentation, I wanted to go long but my hair jsut would not grow .. lucky you :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about trying castor oil? That works! and thank you very much :-)

      Delete
  8. Hmmm.. that's quite interesting Jenny.. Its great to know girls take really good care of hair.. Now you dont want me to explain how guys take care of their hair, if at all they do.. Combing will constitute almost 80% of the activity :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you know what Binu, guys take atrocious amount of time, just combing thier hair. The procedure is wet the hair, and comb it, and do this for like 30 odd times, and even after then, the line 'my hair doesnt look fine na!'

      Delete
  9. I did it tooo yeahahaha... totally short.. my twitter pic is the one..I have done it all with my hair too... colour, bleach, red, blue, curl, perm... phew.. and enjoyed them all... my next plan is to go bald :D :D

    u look pretty in the pix :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh woow!!!!!! You should be writing this post. I have not even done half things what you have done. I dont think I could ever color my hair. And wow blue, I love that color!! If you pics, you much write a post about this.

      Delete
  10. Lovely post Jenny and not for Dove contest:) You could easily pass off as one of their model. Preity Zinta would get envious if she read this post and saw your pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) haha, Rahulji, now you are pulling my leg. But still thank you very much. Your comments are really awaited on my blog.

      Delete
    2. I dare not pull your leg Jenny knowing the consequences with your caring husband around, and what I wrote was a fact:)

      Delete
    3. :-)) Thank you Rahulji, you are very kind :-)

      Delete
  11. I wish I could experiment with my hair. With constant change in location, I am happy they are still there. BTW, I think PZ's Lakshya look is cool. You look lovely in each hairdo but 4 months, how do you manage that? I'll try castor oil. :)

    Thanks for those tips :) Keep flaunting as they say, if you got it, flaunt it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well its just you and me then. A lot of people hated her look, and the fashion magazines made a huge cry about it!

      Thanks Saru, I dunno, I just feeling like changing something, so sometimes I cut my hair or striaghten it.

      My mom has worked really hard behind my hair. I owe it to her totally!

      Delete
  12. in 2009 when u didnt use conditioner, your face used to look so small with all that hair around :)

    But i feel curly and short hair suits you the best as you look like a small girl in that..so thats my fevorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes all that hair all over my face :-)
      Thanks Ash :-)

      Delete
  13. I think short and curly hair look nice on u....it makes u look cheerful......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neha for the comment, and thank you for reading my blogs :-)

      Delete
  14. I am just like you. I love to experiment with my hair, and the hair quality allows me to. But no straightening and other chemical treatments. And, I love my curls though of course, I love straight hair too :). I think wavy medium to long looks best on you. But then, what the heck, you look good in all your avatars :).

    You may want to read this post I did about hair:
    vhttp://www.rachnaparmar.com/2012/07/dis-tress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the post Rachna, and I know how harmones can play havoc with the hair. But you have beautioful curls, and I loved the one with the very short hair the best. That pic is amazing :-)

      Delete

So what do you think?