Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympic Joys

I am deactivated from Facebook, so there has to be a medium where I can yell with joy oyy!


Saina gets the bronze. Oh lalala. And what irony, this same time last year, we were staying right next to the Wembley Arena, London. God, I actually used to jog around those fountains every morning. We have this feeling that, if we were still there, we would have invited Saina for a brunch with us, and yes she would have obliged! Well that's how grounded she is. To add to our woes, a colleague who stays in our building(in London), shared clips with her and couple of more friends actually made it to the match today! This makes us so jealous. Never mind, after the Sania vs China matches, it will be nice to see her shining on the podium with that bronze. She is clearly aiming the pinnacle on that podium and with each olympics she is getting closer. True Champion.


On the tennis front, Sunday is what we await, because it is Roger for you at the centre court Wimbledon grounds. And although he is playing against Murray, sadly the home crowd favorite will have to settle with the silver. Well unfortunate, but that's how it has to work. Fedex already has a gold in doubles, and we know await for the Golden career slam. Excited.

Giving us more joy is Serena, who is blasting off Maria. She already has got the first set for 6-0, and clearly running away with the second set. Oh how I love Williams, both of them and how I dont like Maria. Maria may have the 4 grand slams in her kitty, but her grunts and legs seems to popularize here more than those trophies. Well no problems there, but it is the game I like, and so it will be Serena who I adore :-) And as I write this here she is serving for the GOLD! How goosebumpy, Fedex and Williams have won the Wimbledon this year and now both of them playing for the gold and wait, the career gold slam! Something is surely golden in the grass this year! Touchwood.


Leander and the tennis folks made hell of cry as to who wants to partner whom. Well looks like all that tamasha was for nothing. Vishnu Vardhan, the 'not wanted' double partner, played hell better than Leander himself. Well next time, Vishnu should call the shots, as to whom he would like to partner. Actually Vishnu need not worry about that, considering by the next Olympics there won't be much to choose from!
Sania, well don't have much to say about her. The mixed doubles, well uhhmm lets see what happens there. Call me a sadist, but I don't wish for her to win. Reason: She is just too haughty for words. I have seen here play live in the Wimbledon three years back, and believe me guys, her first service was terrible, not worth mentioning here. Bored.

Boxing is what has caught our attention now. And finally I have begun to understand the game. Vijender is there. But so is Devendro Singh. How beautiful was he in that ring today, and the minute the third round was done he knew it. He is in the quarters! Hopeful.

And of course at last my favorite, athletics. There is so much to learn from Bolt. Watched the 100m Men's heats today, and how relaxed was he. Yes this is the Olympics and yes there is the pressure, but at the end of the day it is a 100m run. He danced his way to the start point. Did his jig, and went for the run. He won it, and did his customary 'head turn to see his opponent' at the finish line. That's how cool this guy is, tons of life fundas to learn there people. Love.


Finally, it is nice to have the feeling of looking forward to crucial matches with Indians in it. It makes the Olympics all the more memorable. 2 Bronze and a Silver already, its is becoming a fruitful event, the trend starting from Athens 8 years back! Now we await with bated breath for the time, when the Indian National Anthem plays again this year and we get back more gold back home. Till then we are glued to the sets. Proud Indian.


All images courtesy http://www.london2012.com


PS: As I have decorated with this post with pictures, Serena has won her Gold after demolishing Sharapova.
PS2: Please do notice the Gold font of the post. This is my way of wishing our team Good luck :-)

34 comments:

  1. Wow Jenny .. you are back with a bang !!
    I wish we would have stayed there now at wembley!! Missed it :-(( saw Empire way on TV .. and remembered how we used to run there (though I just ran for 2 days :P)
    Wish India do better in Olympics .. wishing best luck for all remaining games ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I miss being there right now. What fun it would have been. Thank you for your sweet comment CK.

      Delete
  2. Wow good one Jenny. You surely are an Olympics enthusiast. And it shows.I am with you on the Sania Mirza bit. And much ado for nothing about the Leander partner war.:D so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita :-)

      So much of media hype to the teniis players, and how disgusting that they never won a single medal!

      Delete
  3. u seem to be having a lot of fun with the ongoing olympics !
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a 4 year event and Indians are doing so well. had to have fun :-)

      Delete
  4. Superbbbbbb Jen :D you are baccccccccck and that too how with such an awesome post very nice detailing :D shows ur interest and joy :D lovely :D Have an awesome Olympics time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)))))))))))))))))))) Thank you Ramyu dear :-) yes very interested! I am having a great time, hope you too are watching it with same enthu!

      Delete
  5. I am very disappointed with the olympics , as i had a lot of hopes from a lot of athlets but .. anyway .. Saina was lucky the chinece got hurt but neverthless a medal is a medal ..

    and tennis well i had a lot of respect for paes and bhupathi and all but lost it all ,

    have you seen swimming oh boy, phelps has been good and today is the 100metrs final..

    I am in london all week next week :) so lets see

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saina was actually into the flow, and I have this feeling that she would have won if the second set would have been played.

      Tennis , yes i agree, even I lost all that respect. Wish they would do better!

      Oh yes, he has been named as the greatest Olympian, isn't it? he is a treat to watch.

      Wow!!!!!!!!!! I am so J. Do write a post about your time in London. I so wish i was there now!

      Delete
  6. Olympics bring out the patriot in us. We are all rooting for Mary Kom now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she already has secured a medal for us!

      Delete
  7. Very happy to see a sports enthusiast talking about Olympics finally:)Jenny, with the potential we have, we can do really well but for the shoddy preparation and absolutely no encouragement from the state, we continue to see only rewards of individual effort:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) thank you Rahulji. I was deactivated on fb, and I had to write somewhere :-)
      I agree, look at the media coverage also. It was just given to the tennis players. I wish all this would change. We actually do have the potential, look how wonderful we are doing already!

      Delete
  8. so nice to see a post on sports Jenny :) and no matter how many medals we win, I sure am so proud of our contingent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am so proud Sulagna. But its nice to see some medals as well on the chart across India. makes us swell with pride :-)

      Delete
  9. I read it yesterday but couldn't comment. Anyways, why have you deactivated your FB? From where I will steal the cool sports status. 'Djoker is playing with my heartbeats, Remember?

    Good post on Olympics, I am happy that we got few medals but I truly believe our country has more talent, just that we should realize, Cricket is not the only sport. BTW, you are a sport fanatic, you understand footballs posts of Binu. I should spend time with you and learn.

    How abt your dance classes? And yes we all noticed the golden color...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Saru, you are so down to earth! My FB status were just about ok. But really a bad time tio deactivate with the olympics going on! I think i should write a post why i deactivated from fb.

      yes in a cricket fanatci nation, how funny, this sport is not a part of the olympics! About football, I didnot actually. I have a lot of friends who help me with that, and then ofcoure there is Binu providing some insights.

      Dance classes are going on in full swing (although I missed couple of classes in July, due to loads of work and loads of rains in pune). I think I will post a few old pics of mine :-)

      Delete
  10. Felt nice to see the post on Olympic and I am very sad till now we haven't fetched any Gold.
    Lovely and nice post.
    Keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mithlash for your comment! Yes hopefully the boxers with get us that much awaited gold! But nevertheless its so exciting to see Indians of the podium :-) Thanks again :-)

      Delete
  11. Nice Read. You've given an amazing update from an Indian's perspective. I could see the enthusiasm with which you have written every word and every line. Hats Off to your Spirit :-). I wish I were as excited as you, about the whole thing, and not just in selective games.

    Loved reading the Update :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Ashwini :-) yes once in a four year event brings out that fan I guess. well but a lot has changed after this post. Fed didnot win the gold, and Mari Kom couldn't get into the finals. Nevertheless it wasn't a bad performance at all by our contingent!

      Delete
  12. Agree on that about Bolt. He is one super cool guy. Hope to see him again after 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he won the 100m in style!!! Oh yes, he is young, we are sure to catch him again!

      Delete
  13. Deactivated from FB? Good for you :) Great post on sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Thanks Kusum. Well kind of got fed up. Thanks again

      Delete
  14. Indeed great moments of joy pride and hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Ajeya, something we all so look forward too!

      Delete
  15. Never knew you were a sports fan ! :D

    But then , we are all India fans <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. We are by default sports fan!!!

      Delete
  16. Welcome to the club for deactivating FB...:) Eventhough I activated my FB account again (for blogging purpose only) but rarely use it. I have deactivated all the links wherein FB keeps sending regular mails to my Gmail, so what happens on FB stays on FB. Glad to know that you are back to blogging and I did miss your interesting blogs, Cheers..:)

    In the Olympics the best thing for me is when I see an Indian Flag being raised irrespective of Gold, Silver or Bronze medal they win. It brings tears for sure, an amazing feeling to watch it. And when an Indian wins Gold and to hear our National Anthem play in the background, well it's a feeling out of this world..Hope to see it..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FB makes me sad, and I wanted to be happy and content with what I have. The day i feel fb is worth it, I would activate again :-)

      Oh yes, the Indian flag, a proud moment for every Indian. Once in a four year event, so so exciting it is!!!

      Delete
  17. As I write the comment, Yogeshwar Dutt has won a bronze for India in Wrestling and hopefully by tomorrow, Sushil Kumar will add to the medal tally :)

    Saina played really well for her bronze and it would have been a great match had the Chinese opponent not been injured.. Andy Murray destroyed Roger Federer, which came as a shock to me. I atleast expected an even contest. Strangely no one is questioning the match :D

    As far as Tennis is concerned, the real winner, if at all any, was Vishnu Vardhan. The guy who partnered Leander in doubles kept a stoic silence throughout the controversy and emerged as the most matured one among the Indian greats..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yayyyy yippee!!!!!! More and more medals for us, And haven't we done a splendid job this time!

      Murray fedex, such a dissapoitment. I didnot even see the match. Totally unexpected :-(

      And yes, amonsgt all those biggies, Vishnu is the only one standing tall. Kudos to that guys!

      Delete

So what do you think?