Friday, November 16, 2012

Time to Get Fit

Diwali is a weird festival. One month before the mighty festival announces its arrival, people go berserk! There is this extensive list of things to do which includes cleaning and scrubbing, buying the decorations and the diyas, shopping for presents and new clothes and the making of the faraal (diwali savories). The month vanishes in a jiffy and lo there is the Goddess Lakshmi in all her finery and grandeur.

This Diwali, I got up early morning (before sunrise), followed that with swift last minute pocha of the floors, the traditional oil massage, bath, and the diya lighting. Well breakfast is faraal during diwali :-), so that broke fast. A visit to the temple, and finally the rangoli drawn up outside the house. I don't burst crackers(haven't since 2000, i.e. after the Kargil war) so that plan just blew. So then really now what? How do people spend the Diwali time between 11PM to 5PM during diwalis? OK, you cook this lavish food, but not for 6 hours. I actually strained my brains hard, to remember what we did when we were kids? Well as far as I can remember, mum just sent us to play like every other holiday, have lunch by 1PM and then sleep till 4PM. Boring na, so I find it weird. Don't get me wrong, Diwali is my favorite festival but not because of the D Day but because of all the preparations and rituals which proceeds the festival. That's the exciting part!

Well, so never mind, I didn't play (since really that would look ridiculous, although I don't mind playing!) and there was not a lot to cook. So when nothing sujofies, we just dump ourselves into the nearest theatres and watch what they show. And that how I watched 'Jab tak hain Jaan'. Being this hardcore SRK fan, strange that this was the first time I actually saw his movie on the first day! Anyways, I loved the movie, and SRK in that stubble and uniform is crackling hot. And yes SRK involves in some not so serious lip locking(actually brushing) with his lady love (which is Katrina). This is the first time he has locked lips(after the debacle of Maya memsaab), but I really couldn't take it. Ash accompanied me to the movies, and how I bored her with 'how could he do that', 'is that how SRK actually kisses', 'Omigod, he actually kissed her'. I was heart broken, because yeps this is how much he means to me, but never mind. Yeh to kabhi na kabhi hona hi tha.

Coming back, the crackers were in full swing all over, but I was glad, that none in our building burst those ear drum shattering bombs. I really don't look forward to all that noise. It is the lighting and the diyas which catch my attention. After the nth round of the faraal eating again, we sat and watched the rockets swishing itself through the sky and sometimes through the windows on the top floors.

Well so, what does the topic actually have to do with all this mindless Diwali blabbering I just did. OK, here it is. I had a LOT (and I actually mean the LOT in the caps) of Diwali faraal. Diwali week is not for guilt, so I gorged on those delicious ghee laded savories bindass without worrying about the calories piling on. I mean common, you really cant care about that during Diwali can ya! But now the Diwali week is over, and so is the dream. Its time to get REAL and fit.

So here is the plan. I intend to run for 30 minutes daily for starters and then move on to the lethal combination of swimming and running after 2 weeks. Swimming is treacherous considering the cold mornings in Pune, but again the cold will help loose the fat faster! So this place is going to be bursting with all the details of how I am doing (don't worry, of course I would write some meaningful posts not like this as well). I am really doing this, so that you guys can keep a watch over me, and I live up to to these high claims that I keep making! So there, that explains the heading :-P

Well I have a call to attend now, so that's enough of the blabbering! Hopefully all you guys had had a fab of a Diwali and I am really looking forward to some awesome Diwali posts and stories :-)

PS: Apologies for Vanishing like that before Diwali.

55 comments:

  1. Good to see you return with a bang in midst of Diwali with your inimitable style1 Hope you continue to find time to blog and write more about crackers and lip lock anlysis of SRK:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rahul sir. Hope you had a great Diwali too! Ahh about SRK, I am heart broken sir.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny!! Glad you had such a wonderful time at Diwali and I am glad more and more people have stopped bursting those ear-shattering pataakas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Roshni. Am glad too. People are finally becoming quite enviorment friendly with lesser noise and air pollution!

      Delete
  3. Hey! Don't worry ... you said he just brushed, didn't really lock huh? Good luck with weight loss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have died if he would have locked ;-)

      yeah the weight loss is in full swing, more details to follow :-)

      Delete
  4. Guess what, I had a similar plan from next Monday. Stay fit! Dont know if that Monday will ever come :D

    Belated Happy Diwali Jenny. Even I was out of town..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, from the below comment, believ me its like that for EVERYBODY. But we have to na someday take the firt good step!

      So how was your diwali with the new member then? :-)

      Delete
  5. Or should I say, I "have" a similar plan. See how confident I am to bypass my plan :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. KABHI NA KABHI YE TO HONA HI THA - sounds like a title of a KJO movie.. u cud suggest it to him Jenny :)

    Happy Diwali to you too..
    may u run n practice ur every new wish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome and thank you Sohail. I do hope to live upto my plans!

      hehe, ideas for his next movie na!

      Delete
  7. Aha! Good post Diwali fitness plan :). For me it was very hectic with all the massive cleaning, cooking etc. But, it is back to normal now :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachna.
      Really once the festival is done, its kind of sad, but in a way its also nice to go back to normal!

      Delete
    2. And it can get tiring too :). But I just love Diwali ;-).

      Delete
    3. I know, it is really awaited all over the country!

      Delete
  8. I eat like it is Diwali the year round. Playing now seems so much fun, it would have been great if you played rather than watching SRK kiss. :P Yeh toh hona hi tha nahin, bahut kuch hua hai, he has fathered two kids. :)

    Anyway, I am jealous of your fitness plan as I am coming to India and I will only eat and eat. It's really good to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Atleast I wouldn't be disheartened, and I really want to play you know. I think I would :-)

      Please tell me you are visiting Pune when you are in India. And seriously gorge on food, worry about weight loss later. Indian food best food! and ghar ka khana, wow! enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  9. Swimming and running is indeed a lethal combination..

    And how did the call go? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am yet to get into the pool. I am really dreading that!

      The call, went fine, thank you :-)

      Delete
  10. Hmmm right first of all . A'll the best.. go for it girl... running is a great exercise but 30 min. To start with go go go go..

    It took me ages yo reach that time..

    Srk.. hmmvi won't say anything as he is ur favourite...

    Diwali yipeeeee I love diwali just because of the fireworks and food.. so you can well imagine what my state is I need hours of running to make the fat burn...

    And it shudders be 11am to 5pm... yeah I can be clever cogg tooooo...
    He he he he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should .... not shudders :-)

      Delete
    2. Should .... not shudders :-)

      Delete
    3. 30 minutes, yes I am managing that for a week now. But it torture after 20 minutes!

      SRK, haan bahut jyada pyaar karti huun :-)

      Oh yeah, I saw the diwali pics! Yor really had some fun, didn't you! I so wish I know you when I was in UK!!!

      Oh yes! 11AM, what a blunder! I will correct that :-) Thank you!

      Delete
    4. I posted the comment THree timesssssssss woooo hoooooooo did not even realise it :)

      Delete
  11. Hmmm right first of all . A'll the best.. go for it girl... running is a great exercise but 30 min. To start with go go go go..

    It took me ages yo reach that time..

    Srk.. hmmvi won't say anything as he is ur favourite...

    Diwali yipeeeee I love diwali just because of the fireworks and food.. so you can well imagine what my state is I need hours of running to make the fat burn...

    And it shudders be 11am to 5pm... yeah I can be clever cogg tooooo...
    He he he he he

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm right first of all . A'll the best.. go for it girl... running is a great exercise but 30 min. To start with go go go go..

    It took me ages yo reach that time..

    Srk.. hmmvi won't say anything as he is ur favourite...

    Diwali yipeeeee I love diwali just because of the fireworks and food.. so you can well imagine what my state is I need hours of running to make the fat burn...

    And it shudders be 11am to 5pm... yeah I can be clever cogg tooooo...
    He he he he he

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? You are gonna vanish just as I reappear? Are we going to be like two ships passing in the night ;) And believe you me, Jenny- no post of yours can be construed as blabbering!! informative...maybe...NOT mindless blabbering.

    I'm glad I'm back- have missed your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) You made it just in Connie. I have to rethink about disappearing now :-)

      I have so really missed your posts and comments on my blog. Always motivating, thanks Connie! please dont vanish away like that again.

      Delete
  14. Honestly I heard about the lip lock and was as heart broken as you were :-( SRK is my fav jab tak hai jaan. I know I am OTT but I dont care. My hubby hates SRK for the same reason :D

    Glad you are back and had a gr8 Diwali..! Thumbs up on the fitness regime !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!!!! Finally I find someone who shares what I felt that day. Never find Anita, its his loss actually ;-)

      Everybody I know here hates him!! Oh why O why!

      Delete
  15. Happy Running. My day is incomplete without workout. Gym is my boyfriend and rest comes later :) Taking out 1 hour from 24 hours in a day is all about priorities :)

    love
    http://www.meghasarin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you for that. It really isn't it pulling oneself to the gym, but loved the way how simply you have stated it here, after all its just an hour isn't it!

      Delete
  16. Hey Hey Jen :) That was fantastic Deepavali spent :D celebration is different for each one of us :) and you have celebrated it beautifully in your own way. :D Let this festival bring lot of love, success and happiness to you.

    And SRK Che :P keep him I dont like him :P :( But this katrina lady she is troubling us both :( in ZNMD she did the same thing with my Hrithik and now in JTHJ with SRK!!! :@ we should do something about this!!! dont you think so!

    and yeah Fitness awesome girl you are beautiful already and we will get to see more beautiful and fit Jen :D ok we are with you go ahead and share with us :D
    Got a complete update about you Jen :D nice to read the post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O my my so its hrithik for you haan!! I like him too, but you know SRK towers over everybody for me :-) But yeah you got the point na./. And seriously what's with katrina, why does she keep doing this to us!!!

      So waiting for you to be back from your wedding!

      and thanks on those compliments yaar. Maybe I am putting that picture out there, but I am not all that fit and all yaar :-(

      Delete
  17. so big bang Diwali ha?? :) :) glad u had fun :)

    about SRK ..not worth my time ..he gets on my nerves... duh!!!!

    and fitness .. all the best gal.. that is the best part of this post :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people share the same thoughts about SRK, but it doesn't change my love for him :-) its fine, you can hate him :-)

      Yeps, fitness was all the post was about actually, I kind of lost it in between ;-)

      Delete
  18. Hey Jenny, apologies for not blogging and commenting on your blogs. I spent my Diwali middle of exams...well not the idle way but I didn't have any other option. Because of this, was away from blogging , but I am so want write & read some wonderful blogs....:)

    I am very sure your plan of being fit will surely work & you had a great Diwali...:) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please dont apologise, I understand you had papers to write :-) But great to have you back you know!

      I am waiting for that blog about your iphone now!!!

      Delete
    2. Glad to know someone is waiting to read. Posted a blog about iPhone 5...:)

      Delete
  19. Glad you had a great festival....Ya festivals makes you skip exercises and makes you eat lot of food and sweets. I am catching up too.

    No comments on the movie.I have not watched nor do intend to.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, people just eat and then you have to shed those off.

      Oh why? You should see it, if you are a die hard romantic.

      Delete
  20. And that's how I celebrated Diwali, watched Jab tak hai jaan with friends and yawned through the movie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Same pinch on that. Well yeah the movie kind of draaged, but I am not complaining. I got to see more of SRK!

      Delete
  21. That was a nice blend of things that you did around the festival 'Diwali'... I am a SRK fan too and disappointed with the kissing.. hehe..
    Glad u had fitness on mind.. holidays get us into guilty hogging..

    manjulikapramod.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blog, and thank you for the comment. Oh thank god, one more fan. Everybody else seem to hate him :-)

      Well I am doing what I promised on the fitness front, lets see how that goes!

      Delete
  22. Come Diwali and all of us tend to hog all those wonderful sweets with promises to run and swim. But as you mentioned, these days its a task to get into the pool , the water so cold, anyways I do have to try and get back to form.

    And Madam, what happened? I was trying to contact you thru Blogger and Fb and you seemed to have vanished. All Ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! My swimming starts from next week, and I should be honest, I am really not looking forward to it!

      Oh yeah, sorry yaar. There were few issues, but I have found a way to sort that out. So I am here now, and hopefully wont vanish again!

      Delete
  23. So have you started your exercise :)
    Nice post after long time jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to see you back. I can think of no better celebration that overeating good food and watching a movie of a hero I love with a special friend for company!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw JTHJ during diwali too. I didn't like the movie :P Though yes, sharukh looks good in the rough look :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. First of all Jenny, glad to see that you are back with a bang. And I see the older posts are back again.

    That was a sweet little post about how your Diwali went. I so agree with you. The run up to Diwali is as much or more fun than the actual Diwali. And gorging sweets and snacks during Diwali is a must do. ;) I do that every time and also have a similar guilt feeling and make a work out plan.

    So all the best for your fitness plan.. seems very detailed and rigorous. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. apologies for the late comment Jenny !

    So you had nice time this Diwali with faraal :-)

    hey all the best for your fitness plan .. hope you do well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. And you have vanished again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. U seem to have vanished since long...anyways, Happy New year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where R U these days.....happy new year..

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?